Trinity Church is a Santa Barbara City landmark with its native sandstone exterior, soaring bell tower, and prominent location at the corner of State and Micheltorena streets. The cornerstone was laid in June 1912. The church was designed by Harold Martin and Philip Hubert Frohman of Pasadena in English Perpendicular Gothic style. Frohman went on to design some 50 churches nationwide, most notably the Cathedral Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul in Washington, D.C. The interior of the church is beautiful and inspirational with its inverted keel ceiling, stained glass memorial windows, magnificent organ and wonderful acoustics. The church also has a “Bride’s Room” used most often before wedding ceremonies, and a small chapel used for intimate worship services such as contemplative and healing prayer.
The parish building is a two story structure immediately adjacent and connected to the church. The common area consists of two large rooms (the Parish Hall and the Guild Hall) separated by sliding doors, and featuring a stage in the Parish Hall. The large, thoroughly modern kitchen has received commercial certification from the Public Health Department. The parish building also houses the administrative offices and individual offices for the Rector, Associate Rector, Business Manager, Ministers of Music, Program Assistant, Coordinator of Children and Youth Ministries and Sexton. There is a library, which also serves as a meeting room, a second meeting room upstairs, and two rooms used for nursery and toddler care during services.
The third building on the property is our church school, which was originally constructed in 1951 and recently renovated. It is a two-story building with two large classrooms on each floor. The renovation included the installation of an elevator, which makes the building fully accessible. It is primarily used for the children’s program on Sundays, but is also available at other times if additional meeting spaces are required.
Two capital campaigns have been undertaken during Mark Asman’s tenure to ensure that our beloved church buildings and property will be here for generations to come. The first campaign, “With Strength Renewed,” raised $1.55 million to retrofit all the buildings to meet state and city seismic standards; the work was completed in 1999. More recently, the “Looking Beyond Ourselves” campaign raised over $2.3 million. Its objective was to ensure that our buildings were in good repair, were up to current building code standards, and were better able to meet the needs of our parishioners. In addition to addressing deferred maintenance issues and necessary repairs, some additional highlights included significant upgrades to the electrical, heating, and lighting systems; the installation of a new sound system in the church, including an assistive listening system (“telecoil” hearing loop); and, in the parish building, a major renovation of our kitchen.
Another important result was the new Looking Beyond Ourselves Endowment to support building and grounds maintenance and upgrades, and the establishment of the Legacy Circle, Trinity’s planned giving program which today has more than 75 members.
Other places and spaces.
In 2003, an outdoor labyrinth was constructed on the lawn between the church and the parish hall. It is a replica of the one set in marble on the floor of the Notre Dame Cathedral in Chartres, France. The labyrinth constitutes the largest part of our outdoor space, and it is in frequent use for meditation and prayer by parishioners of all ages. Because it abuts the sidewalk, our labyrinth is often walked by other Santa Barbara residents and by visitors from around the world. It is also where coffee hour is held following Sunday services (good weather permitting, which means almost always).
In March of 2017, Trinity embarked on a sustainable landscape project using local, California native, water-wise plants to create a welcoming presence. Sustainable landscaping with improved accessibility was the final phase of Trinity’s Capital Campaign which began in 2007. We called this final phase of the campaign: Looking Beyond Ourselves: Final Phase, First Impression.
The Trinity rectory is located on a quiet, block-long street centrally and conveniently located just a mile from the church. It is very near our main hospital, and not far from both the center of the downtown area and from the waterfront. Built in 1927, it has been remodeled over the years to about 2500 square feet, but it also retains its period charm.
The home allows for easy entertaining both indoors and out. On the main level, the dining room is open and adjacent to the large living room and a newly remodeled kitchen. Also on the main floor are a master suite with full bath, plus two additional bedrooms with a full bath to serve them. On the lower level, there is another bedroom/office, full bath and laundry. The private backyard garden and patio are overlooked by two large decks, one on each level of the house. There is an attached two-car garage. The electricity and plumbing are up to date. The rectory falls within the Santa Barbara Junior High School and Santa Barbara High School District; the local elementary school is Peabody Charter School.